Standing water in your home can be anything from dampness in the walls or ceiling to puddles under your sink. It is usually caused by leaky pipes and can happen just about anywhere a pipe goes. Sometimes you may not even realize you have standing water because you can’t see it, but you will eventually smell it and by then, it will be a big work to repair. Your best option in Richmond, VA is to have our trained professionals at Assure Plumbing & Septic examine your home with the latest technology to make sure you don’t have any hidden dampness.
What Causes Standing Water
Natural disasters may cause your home to have standing water. In Virginia, this could include heavy storms or flooding, but leaking pipes are the main cause of standing water in your home. There are several reasons pipes start to leak, including:
- Clogs – Food particles, accumulated cooking oil, hair and soap residue, and flushing too much sanitary paper product down the toilet are the most common causes of clogged pipes.
- Broken seals – Rubber seals that are put around plastic pipes can disintegrate over time.
- Damaged joints – The joints that redirect the water to different parts of your home can shift under the house or behind walls as the house settles and start to leak.
- Natural corrosion – This gradually occurs in just about any plumbing system. That’s why it’s important to have your home checked for leaks at least once a year.
- Incorrect water pressure – Most pipes are made to withstand 60 psi water pressure. Higher pressure can actually burst pipes or force cracks that leak water into your walls or floor.
Why Is Standing Water So Dangerous?
Puddles and dampness are a great environment for a lot of unwanted and unhealthy things to thrive. Mold is one of the first pathogens to grow in dampness. When this happens, the mold sends spores into the indoor air that can cause respiratory illnesses.
Standing water also undermines your home’s foundation, weakens drywall, and causes wood to swell. The longer you wait to remediate damage, the more dangerous it becomes, and it can become irreversible over time. It may look like a small, insignificant spot, but there is no spot too small to cause damage and grow pathogens.
Some of the unwanted guests that thrive in standing water are viruses and bacteria that may include salmonella and E. coli. Parasites such as giardia and entamoeba may also start to grow in puddles, and if this isn’t bad enough, pests such as mosquitoes, cockroaches, and even mice will take advantage of the water supply. Mice will leave feces that turn even the purest water into toxic water.
Many homeowners do not realize the dangers of dampness and standing water inside the home. You may think the warm climate in Virginia will evaporate the water and dry the dampness, but this may not be the case. If you have standing water from a storm or leaking pipe, don’t worry. We can detect even the smallest amount of moisture and dry it properly, as well as repair the cause. Contact us today to learn more about our services.